Monday 14 November 2011

Ernest Hemingway Quotes and Sayings




A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 ------------
A man's got to take a lot of punishment to write a really funny book.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 ---------------
I still need more healthy rest in order to work at my best. My health is the main capital I have and I want to administer it intelligently.
~Ernest Hemingway Quote
 --------------
A serious writer is not to be confounded with a solemn writer. A serious writer may be a hawk or a buzzard or even a popinjay, but a solemn writer is always a bloody owl.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 -------------
About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 -------------
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
~Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
 -------------
For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 --------------
For a war to be just three conditions are necessary - public authority, just cause, right motive.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 --------------
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
~Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929
 ------------
Forget your personal tragedy. We are all bitched from the start and you especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it-don't cheat with it.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 ---------------
Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 ---------------
For a true writer each book should be a new beginning where he tries again for something that is beyond attainment. He should always try for something that has never been done or that others have tried and failed. Then sometimes, with great luck, he will succeed.
~Ernest Hemingway, in his Nobel Prize acceptance speech
 ---------------
Hesitation increases in relation to risk in equal proportion to age.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 --------------
All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was.
~Ernest Hemingway, Old Newsman Writes, Esquire, December 1934
 --------------
His talent was as natural as the pattern that was made by the dust on a butterfly's wings. At one time he understood it no more than the butterfly did and he did not know when it was brushed or marred.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 --------------
I don't like to write like God. It is only because you never do it, though, that the critics think you can't do it.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 ----------------
Let him think I am more man than I am and I will be so.
~Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
 ----------------
I learned never to empty the well of my writing, but always to stop when there was still something there in the deep part of the well, and let it refill at night from the springs that fed it.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 ----------------
I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes
 -----------------
In order to write about life, first you must live it!
~Ernest Hemingway (1899 - 1961)
 ------------------
I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?
~Ernest Hemingway Quotes 
------------------
Page:- (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

No comments:

Post a Comment